Sunday, March 2, 2008

Catching Up

I know I have been woefully inept at keeping up this blog; sometimes, one can only do so much, ya know?

I have been working a ton of hours, the results which won't likely be seen for weeks and months. It's ok - I have time.

See, the way the program works with my company is "as percent of standard." So, in other words, where you stand is a function of where you sit in the percentage game. If I'm at 40% of standard, that wouldn't be good. You go on 'goals' which is a nice way of saying you're on probation, and if your rolling average doesn't come up, you'll be gone next quarter. If I'm at 100% of standard, all is fine - I won't hear a peep from anyone. If I'm at 200% of standard, the awards come, I'm in good graces, have a shot at Limited Partner, and make some nice coin to boot. Pretty simple, right?

So going through and crunching the numbers this weekend with my business partner, we determined just what a nut it is I have to crack. Because of where I am, and the program I am involved in, I have to do 3.5X what a new guy has to do to maintain the standard percentages. Am I whining? Hell no, I wouldn't have it any other way - I have a nice starting book of business...it's just that I have to work the bejeezus out of it along with new biz to make my nut. I'll get there, I am confident - but I would be lying if I didn't tell you it is somewhat daunting.

Away from work, just finished up the basketball season. I have coached for 5 or 6 years now, and thankfully, this IS my last season. We did fine during the regular season, going 6-2, but we royally got our asses kicked in the playoffs. Oh, and I got my first two technicals, back-to-back. Hey, I can't help it if the refs need a lifetime prescription to Eyemasters! One of 'em was such a jerkoff, the other ref told him to get his hand outta my face. He tried to kiss up and make nice during the 4th quarter, but I let him know I still thought he was a dick and horrible ref, and I would be speaking with the director of the program, whom I know quite well. That was merely a threat - I really don't give a rat's ass because I am done coaching and wont' be seeing that program again. Hell, I am moving anyway, so I won't even be in this area anymore.

As for the personal things, I made a comment in an earlier post that I had a person from the past that was wishing to reconnect. After further consideration, I thought it best to let the past stay where it was. I can have a beer with her, but at the end of the day, the past is something I am moving away from, only looking forward, to I have let that slide and have only had contact when she contacts me. And no, that doesn't include early mornings calls - again, I ain't going there.

So life sounds pretty dull on this end, huh?

It basically is, as I have a ton of things going on, much to worry about, and all the while I'm trying to keep up a smiling game face. In several weeks I make another trip to the desert, and that is where the rubber meets the road - I'll be on my way or falling on my face, but come what may, I'll damn sure give it my all and continue working the 12-14 hours days I've been logging. I'll go down swinging if it doesn't work...no regrets!

And hey, have you figured out what you're gonna do with that check the government is fixin' to give you?

I know what I am doing with mine.

Paying bills, trying to get caught up, and maybe buying a decent steak dinner, the likes of which I haven't seen for far too long...

Keep looking up, keep looking ahead, and make every day count...you never know when this day might be your last!

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Good Lord man. I'm curious about what kind of work you do. The security doesn't sound too good. Good luck over the next couple weeks. If you ever find yourself in my part of the country I'll buy you a steak dinner!

Bent said...

Dude, the technical term is financial advisor - the layman's term might be 'broker that better get after it!'

Thanks for your comments, and that steak dinner? I'll be looking forward to it...